Thursday, August 05, 2004

The Case for a Federal Marriage Amendment

Yes, there is a case that can be made for a Federal Marriage Amendment. But it may not be what you think.
Civil marriage for Americans needs to be protected in the Constitution of the United States of America for all Americans, but especially to protect the individual and mutual rights of my life partner and children to be a family with me. In a democracy, laws exist first and foremost to protect the rights of individuals. In the opening words of the Declaration of Independence under which our nation was founded, we proudly state that: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness".

I want my right to marry under the legal definition of civil marriage recognized in all the states of America, and I want all of the attendant rights and benefits that protect my family and assets legally and financially to be guaranteed at the federal level, and in all the states of the United States of America. I am a red blooded American just like you are, no more and no less.

America, I am not waiting for you to "allow" me to marry only if we "call it something else" and only in certain states. You will not tell me that I am not American enough to be married to the person I will be with for the rest of my life, or that my children are to be raised as second class citizens, or that I somehow deserve less than any other American merely because the person I love is not of the opposite sex.


I am a child of this nation and I claim these rights with as much certitude and force as you claim yours, and if you try to deny me I will fight for those civil rights, because to do anything less for my family would not be American.

No comments: