Wednesday, June 25, 2003

I'll confess that I have been enjoying the quasi-reality TV show, "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here". It's been interesting to watch the interplay amongst these characters. It was nice to see Bruce Jenner comporting himself well. He has come a long way from that small church college in Iowa where we shared a year. (full disclosure: he was in the jock crowd and I wasn't, so I doubt he ever knew I existed.) It's only a coincidence that I share a name with his daughter.

It's been nice to see folks step up and face difficult situations in a constructive manner rather than go cut-throat as the survivor series encourages them to. It was nice to see some "get it" that cooperation was more useful than command. Furthermore, it was nice to see that those were the ones the voters saw as deserving.

One who particularly didn't get it was poor Tyson. It was clear that he saw the experience as a competition that he could game somehow. The contributions he made as a solid team member became over-shadowed by fairly lame efforts to distinguish himself. He ended up trying too hard. Not only that he began to display an unwillingness to be self-critical. Whenever he got crossways with anyone he could not genuinely accept his share of the responsibility for the problem. This lack of humility put me off and apparently put others off as well.

No comments: