Thursday, August 04, 2005

A Beginner's Campaign (post 5)

It seems that real politics has stolen a bit of my thunder. Instead of a sleepy little election there may actually be some genuine politicing going on. My community consists of three fair-sized cities and a handful of small suburban municipalities. In one of the cities (not mine, thank goodness) three members of the same family are challenging city council incumbents for three different positions. Talk about your campaign synergy! In one of the smaller communities the government has always been a bit of an afterthought and the current incumbents have raised the ire of many of their constituents. That race looks like a free-for-all.

I was hoping to be a bright spot in an otherwise-drab election. But I may just be a side-show to the main event. You never can predict these things.

My local newspaper came out with a profile today of the my particular race. I think I caught my opponent flat-footed in that he had every reason to expect to be unopposed. When asked by the reporter to characterize his campaign and issues he really didn't have much to say. Somehow I don't think that will last for long. And that's a good thing.

No comments: