Thursday, September 01, 2005

A Beginner's Campaign (post 8)

I had the endorsement interview with the editorial board of the local news paper the other day. It was my first time, of course, dealing directly with media. The senior members of the board seemed offended by the very idea that someone would run for office with the expressed desire to not be elected. "Why waste people's time?", they asked. But whose time am I wasting? Certainly not the voter's. They were complaining because I was wasting their time. I'm not wasting any more of their time than they themselves want to put into it. Would they rather I mount a lame campaign and pretend that I hope to win? At least they have the option to dismiss me if they choose, an option they wouldn't have if I was pretending.

The other members could see the humor in the situation. There was a reporter present as well who smiled a good deal. There will be an interview with him later one-on-one. It will be interesting to see what angle he takes on my story.

I almost got snookered in one area. They wanted to take a photo but they didn't have a photographer available. I was thinking that as print media I didn't have to worry too much about what I wore so I didn't wear the tuxedo I had intended to be an icon of my campaign. Note to self: every public appearance should be done in proper regalia. If you want to have visual branding you need to be aware of it at all times. I'll be wearing the tux to the interview.

No comments: